Monday, July 7, 2008

Crash's First Solo BRS Point



Okay, maybe my stroke wasn't as graceful as Fido's, but nevertheless I swam a mile.  

My only hope halfway through my second lap was to get to the other side before I drowned.  It was crazy how much I was fighting the water.  No way in hell was I going to complete 36 down & backs, but somehow I managed to finish that 2nd lap, and then I had a moment.  I took a deep breath, and simply let my stubbornness take over.  

First thing I did was switch to the breaststroke for a little bit.  Why?  Because there were six other swimmers in my lane, and one of them was an obese floater.  Seriously, he just kind of floated in the lane. Once I stopped fighting the water (really the other swimmers), it all came back to me after my 15 year hiatus.  Honestly, with a little practice, some stroke adjustments, and a flip turn, my crawl is going to be pretty strong for the CDT.

Anyways, I couldn't have done it without help from my fellow Magnum buddies.  Thanks Gerald for being a maniacal runner.  You've kept my long run honest and it helped.  Thanks Michael for being a crazy cyclist.  The pain of a one mile swim is peanuts compared to biking 10 miles with you. Thanks Ventoux for already showing me it could be done.  That was the single most motivating factor for me.  My stubbornness wants to beat you at the Central District Triathlon. Thanks Mom & Dad for making me take swimming lessons in Maine when I was a kid.  I hated it at the time, but now I'm so glad I can actually use it.  

I'm coming for you Ventoux!  And then for you Guth!

1 comment: