Monday, March 24, 2008

grilled pork with asparagus, peppers and waxy spuds

I've always wanted a food blog:.

-I love to cook, it helps me unwind at the end of the day. And I like to cook BIG. It's easier somehow to cook in quantity. And now that I've got a hoard of eaters at home, family style isn't totally unjustified either.
-And I like to eat my food.
-And I like food pictures.
-And I like food writing.
-I like other food blogs even.

Last night I had to run to REI quickly after work. They're the nearest place I know that sells various plastic webbing strap buckles. I have a Mountain Smith bike bag (fits atop a standard rack) but one of the cams that holds it down broke along with one of the prongs on the hide-a-way waist strap. Picked up those and new inner tube. $11 purchase worth an hour in the car? prolly not. But it's beautiful out, windows down on the freeway, Ray LaMontagne to keep me company, it could be worse.

When I get home I have no idea what's for dinner. See: most nights. Jess and I shop for two weeks at a time and make a loose menu of about 12 meals before we shop though, so we nearly always have something with which to to fashion a full meal. Found the thick-cut pork chops in the fridge that we bought a few days ago (and meant to have frozen by now, whoops). It was excellent news tonight though, I could grill without having to thaw anything from the deep freeze. I fashioned a quick marinade out of soy sauce, oyster sauce, a dash of veg oil, pressed garlic, salt and pepper (I think that's it, I didn't think I would be documenting this). Shoved three big chops into a bag with the oil, pressed the air out and tossed them on the counter.

Went outside and got the coals started with my chimney starter. Have y'all used one of these? They're awesome! I never want to hear anyone complain that briquettes are too time consuming to deal with ever again. There's just no excuse anymore.

Once they were lit and heating up I shot back inside, poured some wine, and cut some red waxy potatoes I found in the pantry into big chunks (eighths, I think). I tossed them with a little olive oil, more pressed garlic, rosemary, salt & pepper. I folded them into a quick foil pouch and, after spreading out the coals I put them right on top. Put the grills on top and closed up lid to let the cast iron absorb as much heat as possible.

Found some asparagus in the fridge, which Jess loves grilled. Broke off the woody ends, julienned a coupla peppers and tossed the lot with a little olive oil, dried thyme, salt & pepper.

By this time the taters are ready for a flip, which I do. Pull out the chops at this point and toss them on the grills (on a bias, of course). Easy sailing at this point. Let the chops do their thing for about 8 to 10 minutes a side (they were prolly close to two inches thick!). While that's going on I do a little cleanup on the counter, toss some of the prepware into the sink, etc. Time to flip the chops and toss on all the veggies. For those I move the coals up close to the grills for searing temperatures, move the chops off to the side, and spread them out over the whole of the hot area. Once they get a little charry, flip them with the tongs. Wash, repeat, time to platter the lot.

Pour more wine, snap a few photos, and call in the crew from the front yard to COME AND GET IT!

3 comments:

  1. Grilled pork chops? Waxy potatoes? Wine? Ha. It's obvious who is not ready to defend one's title at next year's Davis Challenge. My weekly dinner? MREs. I'm even training myself not to need the heaters...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive! Do you cook like this every night?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    I'm totally drooling over the chops and asparagus. Very impressed indeed. It's true, you eat with your eyes before you eat with your tastebuds.

    Crash, my hair is now blue and I resemble a bloated Spock. Live long and prosper.

    ReplyDelete